The Craig Surname
The name "Craig" is common in Scotland In Scottish Gaelic, "Craig"
William Craig and Descendants
The earliest known Craig was William Craig of Stirlingshire,
Scotland. To escape the persecution of the Presbyterians by James I, William
settled at Dungannon, Ireland. Several of his children emigrated to America,
including William A., (Col.) Thomas, James, Sarah, Margaret, Jane, and Daniel
(ancestor of Theodore Roosevelt).
Daniel Craig was an ancestor to Theodore Roosevelt as follows:
- Daniel's daughter Sarah married John Barnhill
- Sarah and John Barnhill's son Robert married Margaret Potts
- Robert and Margaret's daughter Margaret married Cornelius Van Schaich
- Cornelius and Margaret Roosevelt's son Theodore married Martha Bulloch,
and they were parents of President Theodore Roosevelt
William A. Craig was b. abt 1685-1690 in Scotland,
and married Janet (or Jean) Stuart. After his marriage William and his family
moved to Antrim, Ireland in 1711, where sons Robert (1713), James (1715),
and John (1716) were born. William emigrated to America about 1721-22 and
settled first in Lancaster or Chester County, PA. The Craigs moved to Augusta
Co., VA in 1744-45 and settled on Cub Run in present Rockingham Co., VA, which
was then a part of Augusta Co., VA, about a mile from the Shenandoah River.
William died in 1759 in Augusta Co., Virginia, near Staunton/Fort Defiance.
Janet died after 1759 in Augusta Co., Va.
William and Janet had the following children:
- Robert Craig b. 1713 Ulster, Ireland d. 1788 Mt. Meridian, Augusta Co.,
Va. m. (?) Grizel
- John Craig, Sr. b. 1718 Ulster, Ireland d. 1803 Lincoln Co., Ky(migrated
after 1780) m. 1745 Sarah Laird b. 1733 Augusta (later Rockingham) Co.,
Va. d. 1790 Lincoln Co., Ky, d/o James and Mary (?) Laird (Scotland, Ireland>Rockingham
- James Craig b. abt 1715 Ulster, Ireland d. 2/7/1791 Augusta Co., Va.
m. Mary Laird b. abt 1715 d. 2/20/1785 Augusta Co., Va. d/o James and Mary
James Craig and Mary Laird had the following children:
- Sarah Craig b.2/1/1742-3 Pennsylvania m. James Ely
- James Craig, Jr. b. 7/23/1745 Augusta Co., Va. d. 9/25/1807 Augusta Co.,
Va. m. 8/18/1772 Augusta Co., Va. Jean Boyd Stuart b. aft. 1737 d. 1816
Augusta Co., Va.
- Samuel Craig b. 6/20/1746 Augusta Co., Va. d. 9/25/1795 Lincoln Co.,
Ky m. 3/7/1781 Lincoln Co., Ky Mary Masterson b. 1763
- John Craig b. 11/21/1747 d.11/21/1772 Augusta Co., Va.
- George Craig b. 1/4/1748-9Augusta Co., Va. d. 11/26/1801 Augusta Co.,
Va. m. 12/16/1790 Old Stone Church, Fort Defiance, Augusta Co., Va. Elizabeth
Evans d. 4/29/1801 Augusta Co., Va.
- William Daniel Craig b.1/8/1749-50 d. 9/8/1829 Augusta Co., Va. m. 1778
Augusta Co., Va. Jane Anderson b. 1744 Augusta Co., Va. d. 6/9/1811 Augusta
- Mary Craig b.5/10/1752 Augusta Co., Va. d. 1/16/1778 m. William Anderson
b. Augusta Co., Va.
- Agnes Craig b. 4/10/1754 d.abt. 1841 Anderson Co., SC m. James Anderson
b. 1748 d. 9/9/1813 Anderson Co., SC
Agnes married James Anderson, son of John and Jean/Jane
Anderson of Augusta Co., Virginia. Where they were married is unknown, but
they lived at Pendleton, Anderson Co., South Carolina, where James died.
The children of James and Agnes were as follows:
- Isaac, who was born October 10, 1785 in North Carolina and died in Jones
- Asa Anderson
- John Anderson
- Sarah Anderson.
My Craig Line
- M. Lee Murrah
- Ina Gertrude Johnson m. Earvin Elroy Murrah
- Florence Ophelia Largent m. Frank John Johnson
- Eliza Azalee Spears m. Malcom David Largent
- Frances Parker m. Amos Jefferson Spears
- Mary Anderson m. James Leander Parker
- Isaac Anderson m. Teresia Powell
- Agnes Craig m. James Anderson
Published Genealogies and Other Sources
Other Craig Internet Resources
Updates and Corrections
The above information is based on the best sources currently
available to the author and is subject to correction. If you have information
that is different or additional to that shown above, I would like to receive
it. Please contact me by e-mail and mention this web
page in your message.
Return to Home Page